tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 11 06:38:17 1995

Apposition

 uu> From: ur-valhalla!netusa1.net!caanders (Alan Anderson)
 uu> Subject: Apposition

 uu> Marc Ruehlaender writes:
 >?? ranks are of course also classes, aren't they?

 uu> I don't think ranks are simply classes.  The word "rank" implies to
 uu> me an ordered progression from one status to another within a class.
 uu> Now that I think of it, the "order" theory explains why a rank would
 uu> be placed following the other word.  Ordinal numbers come after the
 uu> noun they are numbering; ordinal *labels* ought to follow the same
 uu> pattern.  (It's not a perfect analogy; in {Qugh HoD} there is really
 uu> only one {Qugh}, not a series of them with the specific one called
 uu> out by {HoD}.)

This is an excellent point, and is the first explanation of why ranks
follow names that I have ever heard.  It is *almost* enough to make me
change the way I write my KAG name and rank (almost, but not quite <g>).

 >qIvo'rIt pagh           means "pagh, a qIvo'rIt class starship"

 uu> Here you're translating it as apposition, and I don't think that's
 uu> appropriate.  I'd say it refers to "pagh of the K'Vort class".

It wasn't written quite that way, though I agree with your analysis.  It
said, {qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'.}  "Imperial Klingon
Vessel Pagh is a Bird-of-Prey of the K'vort."

| Lieutenant Commander Qob vestai-qutvaj                     |          |
| Quadrant Adjutant, Northern Quadrant, Dark Moon Fleet, KAG |  NOR!    |
| Second and Communications Officer, I.K.V. Crystal Dagger   |  QUAD!   |
|     === Member, Klingon Language Institute ===             |  ROCKS!  |
| Fidonet:  Bill Willmerdinger @ 1:2613/477.1701             |          |
| Internet: [email protected]              |          |

... We are NOT surrounded.  We are in a target-rich environment.

Back to archive top level