tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 00:53:30 1995

Re: Apposition

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'

> Marc Ruehlaender writes:
> >?? ranks are of course also classes, aren't they?
>
> I don't think ranks are simply classes.  The word "rank" implies to
> me an ordered progression from one status to another within a class.
> Now that I think of it, the "order" theory explains why a rank would
> be placed following the other word.  Ordinal numbers come after the
> noun they are numbering; ordinal *labels* ought to follow the same
> pattern.  (It's not a perfect analogy; in {Qugh HoD} there is really
> only one {Qugh}, not a series of them with the specific one called
> out by {HoD}.)

this does make some sense to me, although I'm not
sure if it helps a lot... e.g. why not consider
starship classes as a kind of ordering according to
their distructive power? thus you'd have to learn
for each type of class, whether it's "ordered" or not.

> >qIvo'rIt pagh           means "pagh, a qIvo'rIt class starship"
>
> Here you're translating it as apposition, and I don't think that's
> appropriate.  I'd say it refers to "pagh of the K'Vort class".

my point was simply that both really mean the same
in english, whether or not the klingon construction
should be conceived as apposition

> >qarghan HoD             means "qarghan, a captain of the Klingon fleet"
>
> We have canon evidence that this is just "Captain qarghan" -- again,
> you've tried to make this appositive, and I don't agree with that.

again, that's just what "captain qarghan" means.
by the way, what would be "the captain of <name>"?
this had to be something like "<name> ra'bogh HoD"

> >tlhIngan is most certainly a class, so would it be
> >tlhIngan qarghan                "qarghan, the Klingon"?
>
> I'd prefer "Kargon of the Klingons" (similar to "Tarzan of the Apes").
>
> >                (probably) "Dochlangan" Marc
>
> Probably, but you're on very shaky ground if you try to translate this
> as "Mark, the German".  I'm going to stick with "Mark of the Germans."

I don't really see any difference, so as long as I
can't come up with something you could not interpret
as N-N, it's all right, qar'a'

			"Dochlangan" Marc

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany