tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 21:10:56 1995

Re: Revision of help!

Qogh writes:
>ghaHDaq Qampu' SuvwI''a'pu' law'.  ghaHDaq Qampu'mo' Qaw'lu'.

"Many great warriors have stood on him.
Because they have stood on him he is destroyed."

>Better?

Much better.  This is grammatical.  It even makes sense. :-)
Unless my translation differs from your intended meaning, you
have correctly written clear, understandable tlhIngan Hol.

I can't say much more about it, except that it seems redundant.
The suffix {-mo'} can be applied to a verb in a complete sentence
to turn that sentence into a subordinate clause.  One can convey
the same meaning as your sentence with the slightly more concise
{ghaHDaq Qampu'mo' SuvwI''a'pu' law' Qaw'lu'}.  There's no need
for you to start out this fancy, though.

>While I could give an English version of what this jumble is trying
>to convey, I would have to wonder if the "translation" had influenced
>your analyses.

You worry without cause.  Stating your intended meaning will not make
a difference in how a sentence is interpreted, and can only help the
analysis of how well the meaning is conveyed.