tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 09 21:12:03 1995

Re: My tlhingan Name

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Garrett Michael Hayes wrote:

> Following the thread here for the last day or so about choosing a
> tlhingan name, I have settled on representation of meaning (ie:
> translating what the name means).  My name translates as something
> like "noble spear carrier"  (I don't know whether that as in the
> acting profession or warrior trade <grin>), so I have tentatively
> chosen the following as my tlhingan name:
>     qengwI'nuH
> translatable to English as "weapon carrier"
>
> As a fairly raw beginner at tlhingan-Hol, I would like to invite some
> comments or suggestions as to the following (and anything else
> relevant which occurs to folks out there):
>
> 1)  I know that I have shoved two words together without the space.
> Is that acceptible in a NAME?

Creating a name for yourself is not really the same thing as creating a
grammatical sentence.  There are no definite rules.  If you like a name,
then use it.  It's probably better that you make it one word so it will
be distictive and not be confused with a common noun.

> 2)  Is the construction OK otherwise?  Right order of terms, etc.?
I would switch the word order and use {nuHqengwI'}.  I translate
{qengwI'nuH} as "carrier-weapon".

> 3) If I wanted to include the "noble" part, would "quv" be a proper
> addition?  Would it go at the front as if it were the adverb on a
> sentance?

I would place it at the end, but you will end up with a rather long name.

> 4) Does anyone have a better suggestion for conveying "spear".  Would
> qengwI''etlh be more evocative of the function?

For spear, maybe you could say something like {DuQwI'naQ}.

> Garrett Michael Hayes            [email protected]

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level