tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 09 21:09:35 1995

Re: Klingon name (was Klingon Speaker)

On  9 Nov 95 at 18:09, R.B Franklin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thu, 9 Nov 1995, ghItlh maSqa':
>
> > One option that I haven't seen used on the list is to find the
> > meaning of your name and translate that concept into tlhIngan Hol
>
> Actually, that's how I came up with my name.  My name means
> "shield-wolf", but since I didn't have a word for "wolf", I
> substituted "targ" instead.

oyvay. I should have said "one option that off-hand I can't think of
any examples of on the list is to...". I really like this option, and
the two examples (your name and chuQun) are excellent. My own name
translates as "son of Mathias", or "son of the gift of God", a bit
wordy and a teentsy bit pretentious :^), so I opted for the
transliteration instead.

> choSovbe'law'mo' vaj chaq jIlIH'eghnIS.  {{;-)
Me? Actually I introduced myself last month. However, I'll give a
quickie review (followed by a quiz...):
    I'm a freshman at the University of Southern Maine studying to be
an art teacher. I'm active in the Klingon community (currently I'm
drawing a cartoon strip called wutlhvo' for HolQeD), and in the
Society for Creative Anachronism (a medieval living-history group).
My current goals include performing Hamlet on stage, road-tripping
with my roommate (a fellow Klingonist who's name keeps appearing on
my postings ;^)) down to NY to record tlhIngan Hol for Simon and
Schuster, and getting Marc Okrand to sign my TKD while I'm there (we
can all dream, can't we?). Besides tlhIngan Hol I have studied Latin,
Allnoun, and am looking into Lojban, Esperanto and German (my "other
mother tongue").

> yoDtargh

                             maSqa'
    "Had I not known that I was dead already,
    I would have mourned the loss of my life"
                          -Ota Dokan
 (written while a knife protruded from his chest)

Back to archive top level