tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 10:58:49 1995

Languages

At 20:11 5-11-95 -0800, you wrote:

>>Thanks for the reply. Languages are very interesting, are they not?
>
>     I find them fascinating and have done so since I was introduced to
>their existence at the age of seven.  I would be willing to bet that most
>serious tlhIngan learners have studied other languages before this, perhaps
>several.  How many, for example studied Esperanto at some time before
>tlhIngan?  I know from his notes that David Barron has and I first did some
>decades back.

I've never seen one word of Esperanto in my life (not that I wouldn't like
to, but...). But do like languages. I took six of them in highschool (and
did exam in four).

>>To me this seems to be a perfect
>>oppurtunity for suppletion to occur; different words for (approx.) the
>>same from different dialects working their way into other dialects.
>
>     I would think so, but there is a counter argument:  KLD section 3.3.2
>says that these "inherently plural nouns are treated grammatically as
>singular nouns."  The fact that they are antecedents for singular pronouns
>and take singular subject or singular object, according to the case,
>prefixes would seem to indicate that the native speaker probably thinks of
>them as separate vocabulary items.

Well, yes. That could very well be the case..

>Even if this were so, of course, it
>doesn't prove there is no suppletion in tlhIngan, it just takes away the
>only examples I have found so far.

So we're stuck where we were in the first place.
Damn...

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level