tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 09:22:57 1995

Re: Klingon martial arts

ghunchu'wI' writes:
> DaQtIq writes:
> >The consensus here is that <tonSaw'> is a verb, while I use <~maqbara'>
> >as a noun...
> Consensus or no, it's very clear to me that "Klingon fighting" is a noun.

I'll track through the archives (if everything from stargame.org has been
included) and see what was said on this issue during the summer. Since i
first posed the question in tlhIngan Hol, and most responses were in tlhIngan
Hol, perhaps i misunderstood. I believe the reasoning was that because the
english transalation ended in -ing, that it probably was a verb.

> > Perhaps <jItonSaw'> and <~maqbara' vIqeq> mean the same thing.
> Try it.  "I Klingon fighting"?  I don't think so.

I don't accept the justification that it just sounds odd. Since tlhIngan has
a different verb for to fight (Suv) and to fight dirty (HIgh), perhaps they
have another verb for to fight like a Klingon (tonSaw'). But since it has two
syllables it seems more nounlike to me as well.

- DaQtIq

Back to archive top level