tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 14:57:33 1995

Re: Klingon martial arts

DaQtIq writes:
>... I believe the reasoning was that because the english transalation
>[of {tonSaw'}] ended in -ing, that it probably was a verb.

I think you're remembering MY reasoning, but not my conclusion.
In english, putting "-ing" on a verb makes it a noun.  While the
word "fight" is a verb, "fighting" is a noun.  "Klingon fighting"
is a kind of fighting; also a noun.

>I don't accept the justification that it just sounds odd. Since tlhIngan has
>a different verb for to fight (Suv) and to fight dirty (HIgh), perhaps they
>have another verb for to fight like a Klingon (tonSaw').

A verb for "fight like a Klingon" probably would have been translated
using the word "fight" without a suffix.

>But since it has two
>syllables it seems more nounlike to me as well.

I don't follow this argument.  Does {ghIpDIj} seem like a noun also?