tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 01 18:14:53 1995

Re: jIlIHegh

ghItlh jej'QIb:
>"jej'QIb" jIH.

<jej'QIb> 'oH nuq? (*1)
A pronoun being used to mean "to be" does not mean "is the same as".
It can mean either "is a member of a group" or "is in a location".
You have said "I am *a* {jej'QIb}", not "I am {jej'QIb}." (*2)

>poHHom thlIngan jImojeghchohmohpu' 'ej thlIngan vIratlhtaH neH jIH.

Watch out for spelling!  {tlhIngan} begins with the Klingon letter {tlh}.
Also, the suffix {-'egh} starts with {'}, and you've miscapitalized a
couple of {H}s.  It gets easier with time, I assure you; in the meantime,
be careful.  Someone who isn't very proficient might not realize that
{jIlIHegh} is {jIlIH'egh} misspelled, and wouldn't be able to read it.

Using the suffixes {-'egh} and {-'moH} at the same time is very unusual.
They tend to cancel each other's meanings.  "I cause myself to stand" is
the same general meaning as simply "I stand".  The word {moj} with the
suffix {-choH} is also a bit wordy.  One might think that you are trying
merely to impress us with your knowledge.  Either that, or you've put a
great deal of effort into making yourself understood, and you don't want
to leave out anything that you've figured out how to say!

Prases like "a short time ago" and "for a while" don't easily translate
directly from English into Klingon.  I usually say "before a short time
occurred" or "while a few days ago occurred".  There's room for a lot of
interpretation on what can be used as a valid "temporal", but making the
meaning explicit helps others to understand.

{thlIngan vIratlhtaH neH jIH} means "*I* merely am remaining a Klingon."
If you mean "I want continuously to remain a Klingon" you would say
{tlhIngan vIratlhtaH vIneH} -- the verb prefix {vI-} lets us know that
{neH} means "want" and not "merely" here.  The verb {ratlh} gives me
some discomfort, though.  I think of it as "remain, stay behind", which
doesn't fit your meaning.  I'd say {tlhIngan jIHtaH vIneH} intead.

>thlIngan Dochmey thlIngan Hol je vIghojqang.

tlhIngan *spelling* DaqeqnIS je. :-)

>thlIngan ghom vInej 'ej biH vImuv 'ach cha'logh qay':
>        -Daq vISovbe'
>        -"Holland" wa' ghom vISambe'

bIDo' 'e' vItul.

>Qapla' {Qa-pla'}
>
>jej'QIb

I pronounce it {Qap-la'}, but that's a different topic.

-- ghunchu'wI'

(*1) For some reason, this reminds me of a Dick Van Dyke Show episode
     where Danny Thomas asks, "What is a Danny Thomas?"

(*2) Now I'm reminded of JFKennedy saying to the people of Berlin, in
     German, "I am a jelly doughnut!"