tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 30 13:52:57 1995

Re: What's wrong with "which"?

>Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 16:31:16 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>I may be totally wrong in my feelings on this one, but I would like to see
>some comments:

>I feel:

>nuq nuH vIlo'nIS

>for the noun-noun construction employing <nuq>.

>At the same time, I thoroughly agree with:

>qama'pu' 'Iv wIHoH

Hmm.  This seems inconsistent.  For "which of the prisoners," you have
"qama'pu' 'Iv", which is sensible, since the "who" is subordinate to the
prisoners (note the English: which *OF THE* prisoners, which is pretty much
a genitive construction).  So why do you have "nuq" before "nuH"?  "The
weapon of what need I use/what's weapon need I use"?  That doesn't make
sense.  If anything (i.e. if there's not another construction), the nuq
should come after: what of the weapon(s) should I use?  i.e. which one.

>peHruS

~mark

Back to archive top level