tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 25 10:28:07 1995

Re: -Daq on numbers

>Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 17:33:26 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>Notice that I have added -taH to express the continuous act of being "at" a
>place.  If, on the other hand, you were attempting to have a computer state
>that "I am shuttlecraft number 407," I would present:

>lupDujHom loSvatlh Soch jIH
>without either -Daq or -taH

Well, yes... but the -taH isn't necessary if you're talking about being
"at" a place.  No more than it's necessary any other time--unless the
meaning dictates.  I can say "jIvum" or "jIvumtaH"; I only need to say
"jIvumtaH" if it is the case that I'm working continuously, am still at it
at the time under consideration, and want to draw attention to that fact.
Similarly, if I'm passing by suttlecraft 407 on my way to my office, while
talking on my communicator to my secretary, I might say "lupDujHom
loSvatlhDaq jIH" without the -taH.

There's nothing magical about being places that requires -taH.  Note that
TKD says "where appropriate."

>peHruS

~mark

Back to archive top level