tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 23 12:03:47 1995

Re: The `Ring Rhyme' in Klingon

Hi Mark,

> Karl Dyson <[email protected]> writes:
> \ Be fair.. Okrand was hardly going to invent a word for Elfs..
>
> The point isn't whether or not he created the words - any words, whether
> we know them yet or not, must follow certain rules that dictate whether or
> not they can even *be* words in the language.  For instance, "fleeblewitz"
> is a perfectly legitimate word in English, even though it has no defined
> meaning; you can put those sounds together in that way - and even though
> you've never seen that word before, you can probably pronounce it right off.
> Whereas "rbotk" could not possibly be a word in English, and you don't even
> know what to do with the pronunciation.  See the difference?  *{jelv} could
> not be a Klingon word, because no Klingon word can end in {-lv}.  *{jelve}
> could be a Klingon word, as could *{'elve} or *{'eldar} or most of the other
> suggestions.
I was only doing it for the practice so I wasn't bothered about which words
I used really.
Okay Okay.. so perhaps the words weren't actually possible.. the point was
that I need help with my grammer not deciding which words to use!

> \ > > and used a compound noun with che'wI - Elevn rulers??
> \ >
> \ > That's {che'wI'}.  Try making them `Elf-emperors'.
> \ Sorry.. missed of the ' eh!?!
> well, missing the ' is a relatively minor error; the point is that multiple
> words are better than compound words in Klingon.
Thank you.. you see it's easy to help someone really isn't it :)

> \ > Your life is doubly forfeit now.  And {Dw-} is not a permissible initial.
> \ > See above re {-ngan}.
> \ See my above statement to the charges :)
> And see above again. :)
Hahah...

> \ Thanks..
> \ I'd like to make one final point.. you've mainly criticised me for making up
> \ words and rightly so.. but since the intention of the translation was to
> \ help me learn to put scentances together.. I don't think its too serious.
> \ Plus, I was very unsure about the stuff I wrote.. since I'm new to the
> \ language (newish) and you haven't made much of an effort to help me learn
> \ anything.. true its not your job but I was assuming that you would rather
> \ promote the language by helping people than consistantly critiscing
> \ mistakes!
> How are we to help you learn, if not by pointing out your mistakes?  We point
> out each other's mistakes (I just recently made a rather awful one and had
> charghwI' correct me).  No-one is criticizing; we're simply explaining.
> Please try not to take offense; the whole purpose of this list is to help
> people learn the language, and that's all we're trying to do.
Again.. you've missed my point.. you are very efficient at 'pointing out' my
mistakes but you don't offer the solutions = no real help at all!

Back to archive top level