tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 10:21:09 1995

young Klingons -Reply

>>> Anthony Curran  <[email protected]> - 5/18/95 11:58 AM >>>

>>> Although, I for one still drop my jaw when K'ehleyr shows up with
>>> Alexander.  Worf & K *must* have conceived him when they met
before he  >>> went on the E-D, or Klingons sure mature quickly!  And
then live a
>>> *long* time.

>>I deciphered from the stardates that Worf and K'Ehleyr spent
>>their night  together on holodeck in late August 2365, and
>>Alexander wielded betleH in  May 2368!

>>Being pregnant must be a disadventage for a female warrior,
>>being a child  must be a disadventage for any warrior. Perhaps
>>the warrior race has  developed to get rid of these
>>disadventages as quickly as possible?

>>Riku Anttila

>This would make sense.  Many animal that are subject to >high levels
of predation when they are small tend to grow >very quickly.  Reaching
large body size quickly is the >surest way to survive.  Such animals
are ususally born >more fully developed than animals that are not
under such >pressures.

>The counter argument to this is that animals that are >provided with
a great deal of parental care are born less >developed, and take
longer to reach maturity.  It is in the >young animal's best interest
to develop at the expense of >the parent, being fed and protected from
predation, than to >develop quickly and face these necessities on it's
own.

>If Klingons actually do develop quickly, this would indicate that
>(at some point in their recent evolutionary history) they >were
preyed upon frequently as young, and that the level >of parental care
is less that that displayed by Humans.

>qo'ran

Rapid maturation is indeed suggestive of predator/prey
behavior, however, at least with terran animals, those
species whose young mature rapidly usually have multiple
or frequent births, or both. (litters, annual mating patterns ect.)
The opposite fitness strategy is long term parental care
and very few offspring, as with primates.  What we have
seen with Klingons thus far seems to resemble both, as
there is not yet any evidence of large family size on the
glorious homeworld.

Back to archive top level