tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 09:57:42 1995

tlhIngan physiology

This topic should prove interesting.  I have always liked the original
Star Trek because it didn't stick to the 1-head, 2-arm, 2-leg variety
of alien lifeform.  It seems that most visual-arts writers (as opposed
novelists) are hung upon anthropomorphizing aliens.  Is it because
of a perceived difficulty with the special effects?  This shouldn't be
a problem these days!  All vertebrate life on Earth has the same form
because it all developed (presumably) from the same origin.  We
can rationalize that the upright - opposable thumb - forward looking eyes
type of body is best suited to survival, but insects have been
on Earth longer than any vertebrate form.

Turning to tlhInganpu', we are stuck with the shape of Human actors,
and are forced to explain the body shape in Klingon terms.  Are the
female Klingon "breasts" actually used to suckle the young?
Perhaps they have another (albeit extinct) function.  I don't know
anything about the internals, except what I have read here the last
couple days.  Presumably the heart and lungs are developed for
endurance and the conditions on Qo'noS.

Brad

Back to archive top level