tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 08:19:22 1995

young Klingons

>> Although, I for one still drop my jaw when K'ehleyr shows up
with >> Alexander.  Worf & K *must* have conceived him when they
met before he  >> went on the E-D, or Klingons sure mature
quickly!  And then live a
>> *long* time.

>I deciphered from the stardates that Worf and K'Ehleyr spent
>their night  together on holodeck in late August 2365, and
>Alexander wielded betleH in  May 2368!

>Being pregnant must be a disadventage for a female warrior,
>being a child  must be a disadventage for any warrior. Perhaps
>the warrior race has  developed to get rid of these
>disadventages as quickly as possible?

>Riku Anttila

This would make sense.  Many animal that are subject to high
levels of predation when they are small tend to grow very
quickly.  Reaching large body size quickly is the surest way to
survive.  Such animals are ususally born more fully developed
than animals that are not under such pressures.

The counter argument to this is that animals that are provided
with a great deal of parental care are born less developed, and
take longer to reach maturity.  It is in the young animal's best
interest to develop at the expense of the parent, being fed and
protected from predation, than to develop quickly and face these
necessities on it's own.

If Klingons actually do develop quickly, this would indicate that
(at some point in their recent evolutionary history) they were
preyed upon frequently as young, and that the level of parental
care is less that that displayed by Humans.

qo'ran

Back to archive top level