tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 19 00:13:35 1995

Re: KLBC: yIjatlhQo' ram luwovmoH Hovmey

> > > yIjatlhQo' ram luwovmoH Hovmey
> > > 'ej meQqu'pu' taDmoHghach
>
> I don't know this song.
>
> "Don't talk! Stars light the night and the act of freezing has
> burned." ?

Original goes "Schtil, die nacht is ojsgeschternt,
un der frost hat schtark gebrent" which probably (:-)
translates as 'Hush, the night is brightened by starlight,
and the frost burnt hard'; so if you have a better word for
'frost' (preferably with three syllables, the last vowel
being an {a} *-) please tell me

> > > pu'HIch bolo'laHchu' 'e'
> > > vIghojmoHta' 'e' boqaw'a'
>
> "Do you (plural) remember that I have accomplished teaching
> [teaching whom cannot be indicated in this grammatical
> construction] that you (plural) can perfectly use a phaser
> pistol?"

God damn this english 'you'! (sorry for swearing)
should have been Da- in both instances...

Original: "tsi gedenkst du, wie ich hob dich gelernt,
haltn a schpajer in die hent?" 'do you remember me
teaching you to hold a pistol in your hands?'

> Here, I'd tend to prefer to use {-meH} instead of a sentence as
> object construction:
>
> pu'HIch bolo'laHchu'meH SaghojmoHta' 'e' boqaw'a'?

great! thank you very much (it even still rhymes!)

				Marc Dochlangan

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany