tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 05:44:35 1995

Re: Coffee

"Lawrence M. Schoen"  <[email protected]> writes:
\ I received the following message (see below) from
\ <[email protected]>, Nathan Nesje.  My first reaction was to send him
\ the sad news that we don't have terms for such things.  But then, since I am not
\ a coffee drinker (as I believe I've brazenly admitted to this list before) I
\ really don't know what "latte" or "cappuccino" even mean!  So, maybe they CAN be
\ translated.
Well, I don't know what "latte" means offhand, and I don't have my Italian
dictionary handy, but "cappuccino" is the Italian for "Capuchin", as in the
Order of Friars Minor Capuchin.  The beverage is so named because of the
similarity of its color to that of the habits worn by members of the Capuchin
order.  So since it's derived from a proper name, a transliteration
would probably be most appropriate.  "qapuchIn" or "qapuchIno", perhaps?

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level