tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 12:22:21 1995

Beginner Help: Tolkien

 Sorry if this should have a special prefix in the subject line, but I don't
know it.

 Anyway, I thought I'd try translating the opening passage of one of my
favourite books.. J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord Of The Rings.
 I never released how complicated it would be :)

 I wanted to translate the phrase
 "Three Rings For The Elven Kings Under The Sky"
 "Seven For The Dwarf-Lords In Their Halls Of Stone"
 "Nine For Mortal Men Doomed To Die"

 So, can someone check this for me and if need be - give suggestions as to
what would be a better translation?

 "Three rings for the elven kings under the sky"
Or should that be Elven Klings? :)

 I came up with
 <chalbIngDaQ jelvnganche'wIpu'vaD wej Qebmey>

<chalbIngDaQ> - area under sky
<jelvnganche'wIpu'vaD> I invented "jelvngan" to mean Elven, and used a
                       compound noun with che'wI - Elevn rulers??
<wej Qebmey> - I'm fairly confident that this bit is right!?!
I spent a long time to try and figure out how to say the under the sky part,
so this was my best guess.

 "Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone"

 Me:
 <naghvaSchajDaq Dwarghnganjawpu'vaD Soch>

 <naghvaSmeychajDaq> - compund noun stone-hall +plural +their +in
 <Dwarghnganjawpu'VaD> - again, I made up a word.. I didn't want to use
                         "very small men" coz I assumed that Tolkien was
                         meaning a more fantasy based people.. then theres
                         another compound noun.. dwarf-lords.
 <Soch> - can I get away with just saying Seven for the Dwarf-etc.???

 "Nine for mortal men doomed to die"

 Okay, I admit defeat here..

 I decided to try and say
 Nine for terans whom are doomed to die..
 but couldn't manage that either..
 I could only get <Hut teragnanpu'vaDbogh>.. Is this okay, I put the Hut
 first because I had to use bogh.
 Well, I got completely buggered here so any help is especially appreciated
 at this point.

 Okay there you go.. you never realise just how complicated a piece of
writing is until you have to try and translate it :)

 Well, thats enough tlhIngan Hol for me today,

--Khalic--

P.S Before you say anything.. the name is not meant to be Klingon.. I
    guessed at a Romulan name for some Internet game.

Back to archive top level