tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 19 09:08:30 1995

Re: works for me

>Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 12:50:51 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>ghItlh ~mark:
>>The only difficulty I have with "jIHvaD Qap" is a niggling doubt that maybe
>>this is a stretch of -vaD.  After all, the implication is not that it works
>>for my benefit, or with me as recipient, but only that it works *as
>>observed* by me.  Is this really a legitimate use of -vaD?  Maybe.  But
>>maybe not.  What do you think?

>THAT was the whole point behind "It "works" for me" (*as observed* by me),
>like "What do you mean YOU can't get it to work, petaQ. It works for me."
>(Kinda like "It's the operator, NOT the equipment".)

Yes, and that's my question.  If you use -vaD to mean "as observed by", is
that a legitimate use of -vaD?  I sometimes feel uncomfortable with it.  It
seems very Englishy to think that "Well, it's 'for' in English for 'for the
benefit of' and 'as observed by,' so it must be -vaD for both in Klingon."
Maybe it is a valid use... but I have my doubts.

What do others think?

~mark

Back to archive top level