tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 13:37:26 1995

The `Ring Rhyme' in Klingon

Quoth Karl Dyson <[email protected]>:

>  "Three rings for the elven kings under the sky"
> Or should that be Elven Klings? :)

Isn't it `Elf-kings' rather than `Elven kings' in the original?

> <jelvnganche'wIpu'vaD> I invented "jelvngan" to mean Elven,

(1) {jelv} is not Klingon; {-lv} is not a permissible final.
(2) Inventing words ought to be a capital crime.  Non-Klingon
  words used in Klingon text (whether they have been made to fit
  Klingon phonology or no) should be marked by asterisks or underscores.
(3) {-ngan} means `inhabitant', so it is totally out of place here.

> and used a compound noun with che'wI - Elevn rulers??

That's {che'wI'}.  Try making them `Elf-emperors'.

> <wej Qebmey> - I'm fairly confident that this bit is right!?!

Or {wej Qeb}; it matters not.

>  <Dwarghnganjawpu'VaD> - again, I made up a word..

Your life is doubly forfeit now.  And {Dw-} is not a permissible initial.
See above re {-ngan}.

> I didn't want to use "very small men" coz I assumed that Tolkien was
> meaning a more fantasy based people.

Dwarves are not a kind of Men; they are not even related to them.
`Very small Men' would be better applicable to the Hobbits.
So you're right, it's best to borrow the English word:
{_Dorgh_ jawpu'vaD} or something.

>  I decided to try and say
>  Nine for terans whom are doomed to die.
                      *
You're overdoing your English here.  :-)  Don't call Men `Terrans';
Elves and Dwarves are Terrans too.  {Human} would be better.

Hm.  {HeghnISbogh Humanpu' jubbe'vaD Hut}?

--'Iwvan

Back to archive top level