tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 11:37:43 1995

re: calendars

ghItlh David E G Sturm <[email protected]>:
>On Wed, 17 May 1995, *ghItlh* Steve Weaver:
>> Wed, 17 May 1995 08:22:00 -0400 ghItlh David E G Sturm <[email protected]>:
>> >I imagine the Klingons would have a 3- or 9- day week anyway if they
>> >indeed have a fascination with things three....  So indeed, "Klingon
>> >calendar" is a misnomer....  It's just a Terran Calendar with Klingon
>> >Subtitles....  (I'm still going to make one out with pIqaD anyway.)
>>
>> I agree, although a 3 day week is too short. I'd buy a 9 day week though as
>> the "days" and "years" are supposed to be longer than the terran one
>> anyway. Besides, 3 times 3 has more "magic" }};-)
>>
>> Will someone bring back a calender from the homeworld so we can answer
>> these questions once and for all?
>
>I guess we could create a non-canon 9-day week for our own amusement
>based on the Terran calendar...  Declare Jan 1 as jaj wa'DIch, (or even
>wa' jaj or wa'jaj: one's day/Onesday), Jan 2 is jaj cha'DIch etc....
>After 40 non-canon Klingon weeks, we'd have 5 days left in a non-leap
>year that could be excluded from the Klingon week scheme.
>
>Oh boy, though; calendar *reform* is a subject that there are *tomes*
>written on....  I hope for Kling's sake that a Klingon year has maybe 243
>jajmey or 324 or 405 or a good multiple of 3/9/27/81 in it.  It would
>really tie in with Okrand's ancient 3-counting system....  Particularly
>if a 9-day weeklike unit exists.  Obquestion: If Marc Okrand were to set
>down a length of the Klingon year/day type material, would it be canon to
>Paramount?  Probably, since I doubt there would ever be a need for it in
>a script....  Maybe MO would sanction a 27 (3^3) Klingon hours = 1 jaj, 9
>jaj = 1 Klingon week, 3 Klingon weeks = 1 Klingon month, 3 Klingon months
>= 1 Klingon season, 3 Klingon seasons = 1 Klingon year scheme?

Although I agree with you and am "caught up" in your fervor on this topic,
there IS a problem that needs to be pointed out. The day and year cycles
are governed by planetary rotation (length of day) and orbit around the sun
(the year). It would be one heck of a coincidence IF the tlhIngan day was
27 hours (still fits for "terrestial" life development though). A 3 week
month (27 days) works, but again the number of hours and the number of days
in a month are equal and THAT coincidence "bothers" me. A six week month
(54 days)? Three month season (162 days), three season year (486 days -
unfortunatly, not a perfekt cube [7.862]).

Hmmm... a 9 week month of 9 days is an 81 day month, 3 months to a season
(243 days), 3 seasons per year (729 day year) which IS a perfect CUBE
"9"!!! Ooooooo! (three three's... truly THIS is a holy number! I don't even
want to get into what the Greeks thought about the three season year...)

A 729 day year means that Kronos has an orbital diameter somewhere around
Mars' and that it has a diameter larger than Earth, higher gravity, a less
dense and more arid atmosphere (all which fit - from what I remember from
tv and my semester of astrophysics at Penn State) [I mention the gravity
and atmosphere because it is one explanation of the greater strength and
endurance of the tlhInganpu' vs. the tera'nganpu']

Also at this distance, it might explain why Klingons are color-blind
({Doq}= red, orange and {SuD}= green, blue, yellow) again, depending on
what kind of sun they have and the main atmospheric components, but....
this is a long way from a stupid calendar, isn't it??

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level