tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 10:39:38 1995

Re: calendars

On Wed, 17 May 1995 [email protected] wrote:
> But doesn't Okrand say in CK that the Klingon day has 24 hours?

I think they're just using Federation standard.  Doesn't it suggest this
to you?  Would Hol really have natively developed calling these one
*hundred* hours?  I'd have expected a system using hour DoD minute....

Since the Empire adopted Base 10 and using English among the higher-ups,
I'd suspect that native Klingon time wouldn't use 24 hours, HOWEVER, our
system evovled from 12 divisions of the daytime in groups of three, right?
The old monastic terce, sexte, noon, vesper... system?  Weren't night
times left uncounted?  Maybe Klingon indeed started with 4 groups of 3
daytime hours: I'd expect 3 groups of 3 daytime hours.  Maybe that would
yield 18 Klingon hours in a day....  24 just doesn't have a three ring to
it.  At least it is 3 * 2^3, so I reckon if 24 Klingon hours makes a
native Klingon day, we'll live.  BTW, y'all note how Bajor and DS9 seem
to have at least 26 hours in a day?

Back to archive top level