tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 13:22:14 1995

re: calendars

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Steve Weaver wrote:
> >a script....  Maybe MO would sanction a 27 (3^3) Klingon hours = 1 jaj, 9
>
> Although I agree with you and am "caught up" in your fervor on this topic,
> there IS a problem that needs to be pointed out. The day and year cycles
> are governed by planetary rotation (length of day) and orbit around the sun
> (the year). It would be one heck of a coincidence IF the tlhIngan day was
> 27 hours (still fits for "terrestial" life development though). A 3 week...

I'll speak ex cathedra as a physicist for a moment.  I specify 27
"Klingon" hours in one rotation of Qo'noS.  I do *not* specify that one
tlhIngan hour = one tera'ngan hour....  Hours are arbitrary units.  Only
the DAY and YEAR are proper physical quantities: respectively the
rotation period and the revolution periods.

> Hmmm... a 9 week month of 9 days is an 81 day month, 3 months to a season
> (243 days), 3 seasons per year (729 day year) which IS a perfect CUBE
> "9"!!! Ooooooo! (three three's... truly THIS is a holy number! I don't even
> want to get into what the Greeks thought about the three season year...)

Equally, one might suggest 9 somethings = 1 day; 9 days = 1 week; 9 weeks
= 1 season; 3 seasons = 1 year (243 days); 3 years = 1 Kahlessiad (sort
of an olympiad?)

> A 729 day year means that Kronos has an orbital diameter somewhere around
> Mars' and that it has a diameter larger than Earth, higher gravity, a less
> dense and more arid atmosphere (all which fit - from what I remember from
> tv and my semester of astrophysics at Penn State) [I mention the gravity
> and atmosphere because it is one explanation of the greater strength and
> endurance of the tlhInganpu' vs. the tera'nganpu']

Whoa nellie!  Your astrophysics is rusty.  You've assumed the mass of the
sun of Qo'noS is identical to our Sol.  If it is a smaller world, the
AU^2/year^3 constant (our solar system AU^3/year^2 = 1) changes
dramatically.  Your other speculations have no basis in canon.  Actually
canon indicates that Qo'noS is a very *humid* world, from the TNG episode
where Worf devolved into that slimy acid-spitting lizardoid.  As for
planet size and gravity, it depends on a canonical (physics term,
not Trek use of it) group of variables:  [planet radius, density, density
gradient, distance from center]

> Also at this distance, it might explain why Klingons are color-blind
> ({Doq}= red, orange and {SuD}= green, blue, yellow) again, depending on
> what kind of sun they have and the main atmospheric components, but....

Likely not though.  But I'll stick to the calendar thread.  The color
thread is a classic list-dead-horse.... :-)

Back to archive top level