tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 05:52:32 1995

Re: PRIVATE: Note

According to Steve Weaver:

> >>OK, charghwI', how would YOU say "It works for me"?
>
> >jIHvaD Qap qechlIj.
> Me-for work idea-your.
> Your idea work for me.
>
> hmmm, sounds odd in tera'ngan Hol. It IS "work" and not "works"?

The only difference between the verbs "work" and "works" is the
number of the subject. [they work, it works...] Since the
subject is singular here, it should be "works".

> I like the way it sounds in tlhIngan Hol though (if I'm pronouncing it
> correctly, that is).
>
> Thanks. I'll get the hang of "thinking" in tlhIngan yet!

Step by step, it happens. Keep up the good work. The next
quantum leap for you will be to go from translating each word
into pseudo-English, then reading the jumbled result and
sorting it out, to sorting it out while translating so you
never see the jumbled English word order.

I went through a phase where I looked at a Klingon sentence,
recognized the parts of speech and figured the subject, verb,
object, etc. before translating at all. I then translated the
words to English in the order that I wanted them in English. In
other words, I'd translate any adverbials or time stamps at the
beginning of the sentence first, then go to the end to get the
subject, then back up to get the verb, then back up to get the
object.

This helped both with speed and accuracy and was a necessary
transitional phase, though it doesn't work with SPOKEN Klingon.
That is why it is a transitional phase, but not a good
permanent one. The next step is to have placeholders in your
mind for a whole sentence's parts. The reshifting still happens
before the translation into English words.

This way, it is like parsing the sentence several times,
quickly each time. First, recognize the parts of speech. Next,
feel the structure. Next, translate the words into the
structure.

At that point, it is as if there are two sentences in your
mind. One is English and one is Klingon. Both start off blank.
You recognize the Klingon parts of speech and begin to
construct the structure. The English sentence gets its
equivalent structure at that point. You then begin to translate
the Klingon words. The English sentence gets these translations
placed into the blanks assigned in its structure.

Translation both ways works like this. Just like the word list
gives you an equivalency between the words of the two
langauges, the grammatical structures have equivalencies as
well. Also, just as some words have more than one equivalent
meaning, so you have to look at the context to figure out which
one applies, some grammatical structures in one language have
more than one grammatical structure in the other, and you need
context to tell you which one applies.

Does this make sense? Do you think I should mention this to the
list at large to help the beginners?

>       vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
> vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
> Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

charghwI'
--

 \___