tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 17 05:45:28 1995

Re: PRIVATE: Note

[email protected] (Steve Weaver) writes:
\ >>OK, charghwI', how would YOU say "It works for me"?
\
\ >jIHvaD Qap qechlIj.
\ Me-for work idea-your.
\ Your idea work for me.
\
\ hmmm, sounds odd in tera'ngan Hol. It IS "work" and not "works"?
\ I like the way it sounds in tlhIngan Hol though (if I'm pronouncing it
\ correctly, that is).
Why would it be "work" and not "works"?  The subject of the sentence is
a third person singular noun, therefore the correct English form of
the verb is "works".   Translations must always take into account the
correct grammar of the target language, in this case English.

-marqoS

P.S.  if the Subject: is an indication that your message was meant for charghwI'
only, that's obviously not what happened.  Normal "reply" and "reply-all" both
go to the entire list because of the way the software is set up.  If your mailer
doesn't have a way to "reply to From: and not Sender:", and you want to reply
just to the author of a message and not to the whole list, then you have to
compose a new message and type in (or cut and paste, of course) the author's
email address.

--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level