tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 14 21:34:17 1995

Re: {n/ng-a-'/gh/H}

On Sun, 14 May 1995, William H. Martin wrote:

> My MAIN question for Okrand is still, "How do we spell all
> these words you've given us on the tapes?"

charghwI''s list addresses the most important questions we have long
wondered about.

A couple of other items I would like to add to the list are:

When a verb is used adjectivally, it can take the suffix {-qu'}.  Is
is legal to add {-be'} or {-Ha'} to verbs when they are used
adjectivally?
E.g. {*qama' ralbe'} (a non-violent prisoner) or {*jagh quvHa'} (a
dishonored enemy)

What verb suffixes, if any, besides {-Ha'} and the Type 7 aspect suffixes,
are permitted with {-ghach}?
Can words like {*lobqangtaHghach} ("obedience") or {*tlhuHqa'moHta'ghach}
("resuscitation") be created?

We can put {'e'} on the head noun of a relative clause, but can we put
other Type 5 syntactic markers on the head noun?  I.e. is it legal to say
something like:
*vengDaq HIvpu'bogh jagh  (in the city which the enemy has attacked)

What, exactly does {taH} (to be at a negative angle) mean?

Is /Q/ a fricative or an affricate sound?

Perhaps Dr. Schoen could forward these questions to Marc Okrand when he has
the opportunity.

> charghwI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level