tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 14 18:04:39 1995

Re: {n/ng-a-'/gh/H}

My MAIN question for Okrand is still, "How do we spell all
these words you've given us on the tapes?"

My other questions/concerns currently are:

Tell us about transitivity.

How do we handle verbs needing two objects (like pong)? What
about apposition? What about {Hol wIja'chuq} or some other
device to tell what we are discussing?

Can we use the word 'arlogh? (I think it would be very useful
and its meaning is obvious.)

Is there a simple way to handle the adjectival question word
"which"?

Please untangle the mess concerning the example
{HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} = "it made him/her willing to die".
Somehow, we have to understand the relationship between the
first three suffixes and how the object of causation received
the attribute of willingness rather than the subject. I
personally have believed that it has to do with the indefinite
subject translating as passive voice (an interaction between
{-qang} and {-lu'}, while others believe that it has to do with
the interaction between {-qang} and {-moH}. I'd say {HoD
HoHqanglu'} means, "The captain is willing to be killed," while
others would translate it as, "Someone is willing to kill the
captain." I would translate {yaS HoHqangmoH HoD} as "The
captain is willing to cause the officer to kill," while others
would translate it as "The captain causes the officer to be
willing to kill." So, who is right?

The verb {vIH} -- is it transitive? (I think not, but others
disagree.)

Talk a little about the verb tuQ. If you think about it too
much it becomes easy to become ambivalent about whether or not
it can take an object, once you compare its definition with
{tuQmoH}.

How do we ask comparative questions? "Who is the bravest
warrior in this room?" "Is Holtej's betleH bigger than mine?"

Now that we can use {-'e'} to mark the head noun of a relative
clause, what happens when that head noun is the possessor in a
noun-noun construction? TKD's rule is that the {-'e'} must be
moved to the second noun, but is that rule now obsolete?

Can we have a complete listing of canon sources?

Perhaps this is why Okrand is unlikely to show up at qep'a'? Is
he ready to face questions like these?

charghwI'
--

 \___