tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 14 16:57:05 1995

Re: Can someone check this for me?

According to Jim Boniface:

>   Once again I'm attempting a quote, I picked this just because it seemed
> like it would be alot easier that my last one.
>
>   Hoch DaHuSchugh 'ej DIvwI' vIHoH
>
> "If you hang them all, you will get the guilty" - Folksinger Tom T. Hall

This is good, with a couple little problems. First, you don't
need {'ej}. The {-chugh} makes the first verb dependent upon
the second, so there is only one main verb, so there is no need
for that sort of conjunction. Secondly, look at the shift in
person between the prefixes of the two verbs. Your sentence
says, "If you hang everybody and I will kill the guilty one."

Why don't you try out something which will mean:

If everyone is hanged (or if one hangs everyone), then the
guilty will die.

I think that the "you" in the original is that vague entity
that could as easily be translated into Klingon with the
indefinite subject {-lu'}.

> Once again, if I messed this up, if someone could give me a push in the
> right direction to correct my practice, I'd appreciate it.

Hope that helps.

> Qapla!
>
> Jim

charghwI'