tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 07:19:44 1995

Dang It! was Re: Darn It!

On Steve's wish for canonical definitions of petaQ D.j. (Dochmey je:
Klingon for etc. :-), we'd really need to ask for a list of
definitions/uses for each word....  For example, there is no *one*
definition of our lovely "Anglo-Saxon" swear words.  The novels also use
petaQ a number of times... each in different contexts....

I'm very much reminded of the Klingonaase g'day't (?ghIDet) and khest'n
(?HeStIn) which are analogous in ways to damned and "eff"king....

Anyway, what I think we'd *really* like to have from Dr. O is the
etymology of the terms.  'o-o' ('oSwI'meyvo': Klingon for e.g. :-) is
petaQ's origin from the Klingons encountering their first aliens and
saying to them "You (pl) are weird!"  {petaQ!}

'o-o' is Qu'vatlh's origin really say from a Klingon description of a
peon who tends to a duty that would be #100 on a priority list of 10
duties?  Maybe so...

<[email protected]> #1 910 759 5532, fax -6142 ..Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager            operate in a vacuum, may
Wake Forest University Department of Physics   I at least have a little
7507 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?

Back to archive top level