tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 12 08:06:45 1995

Re: Darn It!

>Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 08:18:31 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)

>Wed, 10 May 1995 16:59:16 -0400 ghItlh ~mark:

>>>Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 16:23:17 -0400
>>>Originator: [email protected]
>>>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)
>>
>>>I swore I had heard a "toDSaH" (chicken/coward/'fraidy cat) uttered??
>>>Have I come close to the "meaning" of the word? {one who concerns himself
>>>with rescue}
>>
>>Again, I say: beware of trying to read meanings into words Okrand left
>>meaningless.  On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with using these as
>>your own slang, but don't think you're dealing with any true "meaning" in
>>the sense that someone else will understand you.  See also my article in
>>HolQeD 3:1 on related "private-jargon" usage of the curse-words.

>Surely someone has a "In this situation, I like to use ..." story? And even
>if we never (never? argh!) get canon meaning for any of the epithets or
>invectives, wouldn't it be grand if we could "standardize" the use of which
>word for a given situation (or do I tred on the boarders of blashphemy)?

Yes, someone has.  Read. HolQeD. 3:1.  Read the article in HolQeD 3:1.
There's an article in HolQeD 3:1 you should read.  Perhaps you might
consider reading the article in HolQeD 3:1.  Another option for what you're
looking for is an article in HolQeD 3:1.  Get the picture?

That's not the only source, obviously, but you seem to be ignoring it and
keep asking for "just one".

~mark

Back to archive top level