tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 05:08:01 1995

Darn It!

Wed, 10 May 1995 16:59:16 -0400 ghItlh ~mark:

>>Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 16:23:17 -0400
>>Originator: [email protected]
>>From: [email protected] (Steve Weaver)
>
>>I swore I had heard a "toDSaH" (chicken/coward/'fraidy cat) uttered??
>>Have I come close to the "meaning" of the word? {one who concerns himself
>>with rescue}
>
>Again, I say: beware of trying to read meanings into words Okrand left
>meaningless.  On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with using these as
>your own slang, but don't think you're dealing with any true "meaning" in
>the sense that someone else will understand you.  See also my article in
>HolQeD 3:1 on related "private-jargon" usage of the curse-words.

Yes. I agree. I wasn't looking for "canon"-esque definition (Although I
wish we could get canon meanings). I was looking for appropriate usage.
Like "petaQ" is used when you mean someone is an
"odd/strange/alien-vermin-lower-than-klingon-sludge-scum-puppy", or call
someone a "toDSaH" in a situation where the "Casper
Milquetoast-chicken/coward/'fraidy cat-soils their pants for no reason"
being behaves unlike a true klingon SuvwI'!

Like "After speaking with THAT {petaQ} I needed to take a sonic shower! Twice!"
or after seeing an act of cowardice one should look very disgusted, spit
and at the same time say {toDSaH}, then either kill them out of kindness or
walk away for a cleansing.

Surely someone has a "In this situation, I like to use ..." story? And even
if we never (never? argh!) get canon meaning for any of the epithets or
invectives, wouldn't it be grand if we could "standardize" the use of which
word for a given situation (or do I tred on the boarders of blashphemy)?

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay'
                                          - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level