tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 08 04:57:05 1995

Re: Transitivity

'Iwvan wrote:
> [...] in Klingon it is determined that the noun phrase
> to the left of the verb {HoH}, whether or not it triggers agreement by
> means of a prefix (Standard Klingon) or not (Clipped Klingon), must
> refer to the victim, not the killer, the weapon, the time or the place.
> (In linguistic terms, {HoH} assigns a thematic role to its object.)

> So the definition of {HoH}, which the Klingon speaker has in his mind,
> contains an explicit reference to the object.  In other words, {HoH}
> is a transitive verb.

The {HoH} which means "kill (someone/something)," the one that you are
using, is transitive, and its object is the victim.  But there is an
english verb "kill" which is NOT transitive.  The intransitive {HoH}
would simply mean "kill" and have no object.

Epiphany time, folks!  {jIHoH} means "I kill."  This also implies "I am a
killer."  The difference between transitive and not can be transformed
into a difference between stative and active!  {Sop} works the same way.
{jISop} "I eat" or "I am an eater."  Maybe there are TWO verbs {HoH},
one active one meaning "cause (someone/something) to die," and another
stative one meaning "be a killer."  The active {Sop} would mean "to
ingest (something)" and the stative {Sop} would mean "be an eater."

These newly identified meanings are a bit strange-sounding, but there's
no reason I can think of to dismiss them.  For instance, we already have
{qay'} "be a problem."  Perhaps all the other verbs with intransitive
translations are better classified as stative with an appropriate
rewording of the english.  {Qong} seems to be a major offender in this
argument, and I hereby offer my solution: {Qong} REALLY means "be asleep."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level