tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 08 04:57:24 1995

Re: Question

[email protected] writes:
> Assume I have a woman named Delora that I wish to take as mine.  If I were
> talking to another male, ("I take Delora as my woman." or "I am taking Delora
> as my woman." or perhaps even "I am taking the woman, Delora, as my wife.")

It looks like you're trying to translate the words, and not the meaning.
>From your context, a simple "I marry Delora" is probably what you mean:

    *Delora vISaw.

As marqoS pointed out, {jIH} would imply an emphasis on the "I" here.

Because tense is not represented in Klingon, this also can be read as
"I married Delora" or "I will marry Delora."  To indicate exactly what
you mean, you should say something to specify WHEN the action is occuring,
or did occur.  You might say {wa'leS ghaH vISaw} "Tomorrow I will marry
her" or {tugh ghaH vISaw} "Soon I will marry her."

You did say "...I wish to take..." which would probably be translated
{ghaH vISaw vIneH} "I want to marry her."  If you already have decided to
become married, it might be {ghaH vISaw 'e' vInab} "I plan to marry her."

There are some type 2 verb suffixes that can be applied here as well.
You can span the spectrum from {vISawrup} "I'm ready to marry" through
{vISawqang} "I'm willing to marry" to {vISawnIS} "I must marry."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level