tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 04 07:10:17 1995

Re: Transitivity

At 10:09 PM 5/3/95 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>This one should draw some comments!!!
>
>I have never seen anything quite like what I am about to say, but here goes.
>
>Perhaps Klingons do not think of Klingon language verbs as being transitive
>or intransitive at all.  Transitivity is implied not by the verb roots
>themselves but by pronomial verb prefixes.  Klingons can tell whether a verb
>has an object and use one set of prefixes or whether a verb does not have an
>object and use a different set of prefixes.  The verb root itself never
>changes.

It could be that , indeed,  Klingon does  not acknowledge transitivity.
Instead, they might recognize verbs as being "stative" (those that  are
traslated  as "be <verb>" and  non-stative.  This would  explain the
existance of the -moH suffix, which one adds  to  stative verbs  like
qIj "be  black"  to get qIjmoH  "blacken".

All this is speculation, of  course,  and there exist some  decent
counter-arguments to this (but I  can't think of them right now).

This could well  be  one of the things we add to the Okrand  Question
List.

David

   David Barron  [email protected]  OR   [email protected]
        Klingon Language Postal Course,   PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
              It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
                        Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

Back to archive top level