tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 05:42:49 1995

Re: Question

[email protected] writes:
\ I am seeking guidance on how to say something in tlhIngan-Hol.
\
\ Assume I have a woman named Delora that I wish to take as mine.  If I were
\ talking to another male, ("I take Delora as my woman." or "I am taking Delora
\ as my woman." or perhaps even "I am taking the woman, Delora, as my wife.")
\ would I say:
\
\ delora vItlhappu' jIH
\ or
\ delora qatlhappu' jIH
Neither of these quite expresses the concept you wish to convey.
The first one comes out as
	*I* have taken Delora!
which is fine, except that it's not what you said you wanted to express. :)
The second translates as
	*I* have taken you Delora!
which is the same save that you're addressing Delora directly, and the issue of
appositives in Klingon is a subject of debate.

In either case, the {-pu'} indicates that the action is complete.
It therefore can't be "I take" or "I am taking"; it can only be "I have taken",
or "I had taken" or "I will have taken" if the surrouding context indicates
past or future time.  Drop the {-pu'} to get the sense "I take" or "I am
taking".  [If you really *do* want to say "I have taken" in this context,
though, {-ta'} is probably better than {-pu'}, as it indicates that you set out
to accomplish the taking, and by gosh you did it.]  Also, it is conventional
to mark names and such, so you don't have someone going through their dictionary
trying to figure out what "Delora'" means. :)   So:

	<Delora> vItlhap.			I take Delora.
	<Delora> vItlhapta'!			I have taken Delora!

with "jIH" appended to either sentence if you want to emphasize the fact
that you, and only you, are doing the taking.

The idea "as my woman/wife" is missing in the above translations, and the phrase
"take as my X" probably doesn't translate directly.  You could say something
like this:

be'wI' moj <Delora> 'e' vIqaSmoH	  "I make Delora my woman"
be'nalwI' moj <Delora> 'e' vIqaSmoH       "I make Delora my wife"

Less loosely translated, that's "I cause Delora to become my wife"; literally,
it's "I cause it to happen that Delora becomes my wife."

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level