tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 06:41:40 1995

Re: Question

>Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 08:56:44 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>

>[email protected] writes:
>\ I am seeking guidance on how to say something in tlhIngan-Hol.
>\
>\ Assume I have a woman named Delora that I wish to take as mine.  If I were
>\ talking to another male, ("I take Delora as my woman." or "I am taking Delora
>\ as my woman." or perhaps even "I am taking the woman, Delora, as my wife.")
>\ would I say:
>\
>\ delora vItlhappu' jIH
>\ or
>\ delora qatlhappu' jIH
>Neither of these quite expresses the concept you wish to convey.
>The first one comes out as
>   *I* have taken Delora!
>which is fine, except that it's not what you said you wanted to express. :)
>The second translates as
>   *I* have taken you Delora!
>which is the same save that you're addressing Delora directly, and the issue of
>appositives in Klingon is a subject of debate.

FWIW, I once had to translate "Do you take this woman as your wife," and
came up with

be'nallI' ghaHmeH, be'vam Datlhapqang'a'?

Another time, I was asked to translate part of the Jewish wedding ceremony,
a phrase which means "Behold, you are consecrated to me [as my wife] by
this ring, in accordance with the laws of Moses and Israel" (it sounds
better in Hebrew).  I supplied (quoting from memory now, as above):

"Moshe" "Yisrael" je lalDanDaq be'nalwI' SoHmeH, SoHvaD Qebvam vInob.

OK, maybe misuse of -Daq there.

Make of it what you will.

~mark

Back to archive top level