tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 06:23:25 1995

non-Klingon words (was Re: peH)

[email protected] writes:
> yID jIH je
  ^^^
> 'IvrI' vIjatlhlaH je ...
  ^^^^^^
I've used Krankor's {*yID} pun myself, but I marked it as a "borrowed"
word. (By the way, I believe he intended it as a verb.)  When I must
transliterate a non-canon word or name, I always indicate it as such so
that people don't try to look it up.  Although it appears that several
of us do know at least a little Hebrew, I expect that the majority of
the list's members don't recognize {*'IvrI'} as the approximate
pronunciation of the Hebrew word for "Hebrew".

Please, folks, try to resist the temptation to render non-Klingon words
with Klingon spelling.  If you absolutely MUST do it, do the rest of us
a favor and mark the so-called word so we don't waste time checking the
dictionary.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level