tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 03 19:01:57 1995

Transitivity

This one should draw some comments!!!

I have never seen anything quite like what I am about to say, but here goes.

Perhaps Klingons do not think of Klingon language verbs as being transitive
or intransitive at all.  Transitivity is implied not by the verb roots
themselves but by pronomial verb prefixes.  Klingons can tell whether a verb
has an object and use one set of prefixes or whether a verb does not have an
object and use a different set of prefixes.  The verb root itself never
changes.

Back to archive top level