tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 03 08:54:26 1995

KLBC: road and Dachow'

I appreciate the responses I received concerning the phrase I was
attempting to translate.  The version charghwI' provided was
especially helpful, but I don't think it conveys the precise
meaning of the original.  <<tugh bIHegh>> would seem to be merely
a prediction of imminent demise, while <<bIyInlaHbe'>> indicates
that said demise is inevitable.  I am more intrigued by the
several respondents' use of the verb suffix -qu'.  My initial
reading of TKD was perhaps too limited concerning this suffix.  I
took it to mean emphasis in the sense of "very" or "extremely",
but I now see that it might also mean "too" or "excessively" and
even "so" indicating causation.  Am I mistaken?  Did Okrand
deliberately leave this abiguous, or has the meaning been
narrowed.

As for the word <<Dachow'>> it comes from the file qeylis.txt.
The exact line is as follows:

<<batlh jIH HIHoH 'ej quv vIghaj 'e' Dachow'>> jach qeylIS 'ach
ghaHvo' yIt jontaH =
"Kill me and let me die with honor..."Screamed Kaylas but Jontah
walks away.

The line is apparently translatable without the word <<Dachow'>>
included, but I would still be interested in knowing what that
word is supposed to be.

qo'ran

Back to archive top level