tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 23:52:46 1995

bom: *ruSta'*'e' ghItlhbogh <mIrmeyDaq *'a'lIS*>

spurred by Karl Dyson's recent attempts at translating song-lyrics, i
found myself in a creative mood today.  earlier i tried my hand at a few
lines from one song Karl tried; now i toss in, for public comment, a
translation of another popular tune.  (well, the lyrics at least... *grin*)

a note:  the following Klingon text is *not* proper Klingon.  i realize
that; my main purpose in this is to have a *singable* finished product.
i wanted to conform to the meter dictated by the music and the original
english; to do this, i tried to keep the number of syllables in each line
equal to those in the corresponding original english.  the only problems
i expect to be noticable are incorrect affixes.  and the only
justification i have for the affixes is "poetic license", whatever that
is.  also, beware that this is *mostly* a literal translation, but i have
taken a large leap here and there.  and so, on to the show.....

(original english lyrics at bottom)

Alice in Chains <mIrmeyDaq *'a'lIS*>
"Rooster"  <*ruSta'*>

wej nuHoHlaHbogh nuHmey tu'.
mInDu' meQ 'aw'bogh bIQDu'.
naDev ramDaq nuDevlaw' He Hoch.
be'nal puqpu' je Saj je;
numaghchu' mangghom HIp je.
vay'vo' jIHDaq baHqu'lu' HIch Hoch.

(chorus:)
*ruSta'* luHoH naDev 'e' lughoS.
naDev ghoS *ruSta'* HoS.
HeghqangQo' ghaH net Suv jay'!

reH yIttaH baHwI' Hemqu'.
joHqo'wIjDaq nuvaqtaHqu'.
puqwI' HaSta mulI'ta' *ghlor'a'*.		[<*ghlor'a'*> = Gloria]
HoHbogh ropmo' Hergh vIghajDI',
nom tlhuHDaj Qav tlhuHchoHlI' jupwI'.
qeylIS: jIyInmeH, HoSlIj HInoj'a'?

--------
original lyrics:  "Rooster" by Alice in Chains

ain't found a way to kill me yet
eyes burn with stinging sweat
seems every path leads me to nowhere
wife and kids and household pet
army green was no safe bet
the bullets scream to me from somewhere

(chorus:)
here they come to snuff the Rooster
yeah here come the Rooster
you know he ain't gonna die

walkin' tall machine gun man
they spit on me in my homeland
Gloria sent me pictures of my boy
got my pills 'gainst mosquito death
my buddy's breathin' his dyin' breath
oh god please won't you help me make it through
(lyrics copywrite 1992 buttnugget publishing.  used without permission,
so don't pass these on.  or if you do, don't attach my name.  *grin*)

--naQ'avwI'

*&* <yIqIm!  *'InIgo' *montoy'a 'oH pongwIj'e'.    *&* Silauren, Half-Elven
*&*         vavwI' DaHoHta'.  yIHeghrup.>          *&* naQ'avwI'
*&*                     --from the Princess Bride  *&* [email protected]
*&* There's only ONE god!  He is the SUN god!  RA!  RA!  RA!!!

Back to archive top level