tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 02 13:32:41 1995

Re: Translation Help: Please!

On Tue, 2 May 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> On Mon, 1 May 1995, Karl Dyson wrote:

> > -Man In The Box- Alice In Chains

as i know (and love!) this song, i'll throw in a couple of suggestions
here.  yoDtargh's suggestions are good, but apparently his suggested
translations don't take into consideration the song's rhythm and meter.
i've tried to come up with translations that may be less true to the
English than they are to the "singability"....

> > *I'm the man in the box*
> > [ngaswI'Daq loD ghah jIH] - the man in the container, I am him???

> You could say:
> ngaSwI'Daq ghaHtaHbogh loDvam'e' jIH. (I am that man who is in the
> container.); or
> loDvam'e' ngaStaHbogh ngaSwI' jIH. (I am that man which the container
> contains.)

how about:
<ngaSwI' tep jIH>   (lit, I am the container's cargo)

> > *buried in my shit*
> > [wuvwI'pu'wIjDaq jIH] - I'm in my remains???

> I am in my dependants?  Also note that you are mixing your suffixes.
[...]
> Unfortunately, I don't know the word for that.  Maybe you could say:
> veQwIjDaq vImollu'pu'. (I have been buried in my garbage.)

for "shit" i considered <taQbangwIj>, "my exhaust", but finally decided
on <DIwIj>, "my debris, my rubble".  i also clipped the aspect suffix:

<DIwIjDaq vImollu'>  (lit. I am buried in my rubble.)

> > *won't you come and save me, save me*
> > [chotoDqanq'a'] - I've been lazy here.. are you willing to save me???

> Not bad. Perhaps you could say:
> chotoDmeH bIruchQo''a'?  (You won't go ahead and save me?)
> 	(Literally:  In order for you to save me, you won't go ahead?); or
> chotoDmeH bIruchqangbe''a'?  (Are you not willing to go ahead and save me?)

how about:
<chotoDmeH choghoSQo''a'; HItoD> (lit. For you to save me, won't you
					approach me?  Save me!)

now for the rest of the first verse:
*find my eyes*
<mInDu'wIj yItu'>           (lit, find my eyes)

*can you sew them shut*
<bIH DaSoQmoHlaH'a'>           (lit, can you shut them?)

*jesus christ*
<qeylIS yoH>        (okay, not a translation, but still......)

*deny your maker*   (wasn't there a word for "creator" somewhere??)
<no'lI' yImagh>     (lit. 'betray your ancestors'... )

*he who tries will be wasted*
<tugh Qaw'qu'lu' nIDbogh ghaH>    (lit, he who tries is soon destroyed)

*feed my eyes*
<mInDu'wIj yIje'>       (lit, feed my eyes)

*now you've sewn them shut*
<DaH bIH DaSoQmoHta'>       (lit, now you have shut them)

ooo... that was fun.  second verse later, tho.  *grin*

[Queen lyrics and translations deleted -- i don't like Queen, so nothing
to add...]

--naQ'avwI'

*&* <yIqIm!  *'InIgo' *montoy'a 'oH pongwIj'e'.    *&* Silauren, Half-Elven
*&*         vavwI' DaHoHta'.  yIHeghrup.>          *&* naQ'avwI'
*&*                     --from the Princess Bride  *&* [email protected]
*&* There's only ONE god!  He is the SUN god!  RA!  RA!  RA!!!

Back to archive top level