tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 22:15:22 1995

Re: Translation Help: Please!

On Mon, 1 May 1995, Karl Dyson wrote:

Some of the most difficult things to translate are song lyrics and
poetry; they often play fast and loose with the language and sometimes
the metaphors get lost in translation.

> -Man In The Box- Alice In Chains
>
> *I'm the man in the box*
> [ngaswI'Daq loD ghah jIH] - the man in the container, I am him???

You could say:
ngaSwI'Daq ghaHtaHbogh loDvam'e' jIH. (I am that man who is in the
container.); or

loDvam'e' ngaStaHbogh ngaSwI' jIH. (I am that man which the container
contains.)

> *buried in my shit*
> [wuvwI'pu'wIjDaq jIH] - I'm in my remains???

I am in my dependants?  Also note that you are mixing your suffixes.
For beings which use language, you use {-pu'} & {-wI'}.
Body parts use {-Du'} & {-wIj}.
For other things, you use {-mey} & {-wIj}.

Unfortunately, I don't know the word for that.  Maybe you could say:
veQwIjDaq vImollu'pu'. (I have been buried in my garbage.)

> *won't you come and save me, save me*
> [chotoDqanq'a'] - I've been lazy here.. are you willing to save me???

Not bad. Perhaps you could say:
chotoDmeH bIruchQo''a'?  (You won't go ahead and save me?)
	(Literally:  In order for you to save me, you won't go ahead?); or

chotoDmeH bIruchqangbe''a'?  (Are you not willing to go ahead and save me?)

> -Flash- Queen (I hate this but it seemed easy at first!)
>
> *saviour of the universe*
> ['u'toDwI'] - saviour of the universe???

You don't really need a compound noun here, you can simply say:
'u' toDwI'.

> *he saved everyone of us*
> [Hoch nutoDta'] - everyone he saved us intentionally???

maj.

> *he's a miracle*
> [le'bej ghah] - he certainly is exceptional

maj.

> *king of the impossible*
> [DuHbe' che'wI'] - ruler of notpossible???

This means, "The ruler is not possible."
Perhaps you can say:
Qu' Doj ta'laH.  (He can accomplish impressive tasks.)

>  Actualy, while I'm on.. I came up with
> nachlIj teqeghbe'jaj - may your head not remove itself
>  but how do I add "from your body" to make "may your head not remove itself
> from your body"?

Since "your head" is the subject, it comes after the verb.  {egh} on p.
35 is a typo.  The text and the charts indicate it should be {'egh}.
I would also put {-be'} after {teq}.
"From your body" would simply be {porghlIjvo'} and it goes at the
beginning of the sentence.

porghlIjvo' teqbe''eghjaj nachlIj.

--yoDtargh

Back to archive top level