tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 14:05:14 1995

Re: Adjectives + Rovers

According to David Barron:

> >On Fri, 28 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> Although we are permitted to say <machbe'>, we are not permitted to say
> >> <yotlh machbe'Daq> because TKD p50 Sec. 4.4 says that <-qu'> is the only verb
> >> suffix allowed when a Type 5 noun suffix is added.
> How about something like:
>   Beacuse of the black ship the battle was won.
>
>   Duj  qIjmo' Qap may'

Well, this is not really the same thing because in this case
{-mo'} is acting as a NOUN suffix, not a VERB suffix. It is
confusing because there are TWO suffixes spelled {-mo'} with
similar meanings. One attaches to nouns and the other attaches
to verbs, but in this case, it is the NOUN suffix and not the
VERB suffix. It gets attached to the VERB only because it is a
Type 5 noun suffix and the verb is being used adjectivally.

I know that is weird as hell for beginners, but, well, deal
with it.

>  I suppose  you would change that to:
>     Dujmo' qIj Qap may'

That doesn't really work, since the Type 5 noun suffix is
supposed to slide over to the adjectival verb.

> qar'a'?

HIja'.

> David

charghwI'