tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 10:39:01 1995

Re: Adjective Series

>Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 00:09:31 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>Fri, 28 Apr 1995 ghItlh peHruS:

>> I have yet to see anywhere in canon how to connect adjectives in a series,
>> i.e., do I use <'ej> because adjectives are [stative] verbs; where I place
>> <'ej> then; or, do I use <je> after the last adjective?
>>
>> The big new book was too expensive.
>> 'eHqu' paq tIn chu' je

>{'ej} joins sentences; {je} joins nouns.

This is still a valid question.  I'm inclined to think that for the most
part adjectives in series would probably not be conjoined (you'd just say
"paq tIn chu'"), but if they were, owing to the verbal nature of
adjectives, somehow "paq tIn 'ej chu'" sounds more natural to me.  I recall
talking about this with Krankor once; not positive what he said.  I think
he also favored 'ej, but not sure.

>BTW, I'm pretty sure the word for "expensive" is {wagh}.

>E.g. {waghqu' paq tIn chu'}

Yes.

>yoDtargh

~mark