tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 10:31:04 1995

Re: Thereupon.....

>Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 23:21:12 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>On Fri, 28 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:

>> Most of the time I see <vaj> used as "since, so, accordingly, then."  I still
>> want to be able to express "thereupon, thereafter, then."
>>
>> I saw the officer, thence I went to the bridge.
>>
>> yaS vIleghpu' vaj (???) meH vIghoS

>I would translate "thence" (from that, for that reason, therefore) by using
>{-mo'}:  yaS vIleghpu'mo' meH vIghoS.  (From having seen the officer,
>I go to the bridge) or (Due to having seen the officer, I went to the
>bridge) or (Because I had seen the officer, I went to the bridge)

Or pa'vo': from there (yes, while you can't stick -Daq on pa' when it means
"there" (but you can when it means "room"), we have evidence of being able
to do stuff like that with -vo', cf. naDevvo' yIghoS).

~mark

Back to archive top level