tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 06:32:19 1995

Re: vIHadbogh Holmey

[email protected] writes:
> vIHadbogh Holmey loQ vIjatlhlaHbogh Holmey je bIH
> [...] Tengwar Qenya'e'

I suppose if I'm going to count tlhIngan Hol as a language, I must also
accept Qenya.  I'm not happy about it, though.  Qenya has far too loose
a definition, in my opinion.  It's not easy to write a sentence that can
easily be understood, much less a paragraph.

Calling it "Tengwar" Qenya is like referring to "Arabic" Farsi or "Roman"
English, or perhaps {pIqaD tlhIngan Hol}.  Whether it is accurate or not
I don't know, but it sounds like you're either exaggerating, being
redundant, or bragging.  (This is NOT intended as insult.)

> [...] ASL'e' je

I don't know anybody who actually "speaks" ASL. :-)
(By the way, are you sure you mean "ASL" and not "Signed English"?)

> Next, I sincerely apologize to Marc Okrand for comparing Klingon to earthly
> languages.  I had no idea this was a sore point.  As a cryptologist for eight
> years working in Mandarin, Thai, and Lao, and as a Language Arts major, I
> have heard many of my instructors insist on our comparing languages.  Since
> Klingon is not to be compared, I hereby desist.

Oh, it's perfectly okay to compare Klingon to other languages, Terran or
otherwise.  What you may NOT do is draw conclusions about Klingon based
on the comparison.

I haven't seen a Grammarian comment on it yet, so I'll step in and point
out that the word order in the subject of this note is backwards.  The object
should go before the verb.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level