tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 06:31:15 1995

Re: latlh

peHruS wrote:
> Since <latlh> is a noun, perhaps it acts as do <Hoch> and <pagh>.
> See TKD  p54 Sec. 5.2
> > Numbers are used as nouns.
> > Numbers used as modifiers precede the noun they modify.

This sounded reasonable.  I was somewhat impressed that a relative newcomer
pointed out something that so many longtime members of this group had missed.
I was prepared to seriously rethink my conclusions about how to use {latlh},
but when I reread the cited section, I found that "When a number is used for
numbering, as opposed to counting, it follows the noun."  If we were to try
to draw any sort of analogy between {latlh} and numbers, I think it we would
fail completely to fit it to the "counting" concept.  {pagh} IS a number, and
{Hoch} as a "number" represents whatever number of objects there are, but
{latlh} refers to something other than the object it's mentioned with.
Nice try, though.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level