tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 29 08:35:35 1995

Re: Finished?

According to Matt Gomes:

>   I was watching ST6 (for the umpteenth time) and I think I still wonder what
> the Klingon outpost guard is saying...

Keep in mind that he was in an OUTpost, like WAAAAAAAY outpost,
like in the back woods, the sticks, like in the Klingon
education system, this guy probably did not enjoy the resources
of a full education, or he would likely have a better job.
Everything he said was an intentional dialect, hence the
pronunciation of {-vetlh} as "-vetz".

>   He keeps saying "rheen"... which, it seems from the concept means "over".
>
>   Now.. there is no "over" in TKD, but "finished" is "rIn".

Bingo. That's what he was saying.

>   If this is what the actor is trying to say, shouldn't it sound more like
>   "rin" (rhymes with "tin")?

That's how *I*'d say it, but then I have a better job than the
guy at that outpost. {{:)> Anyway, in TKD, 1.2 it says, "Once
in a while it is pronounced like "i" in "zucchini, but this is
very rare and it is not yet known exactly what circumstances
account for it." My own guess is "bad acting".

>   qatlho'... Qapla'!
>
> -majIq

charghwI'
--