tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 28 23:00:03 1995

Re: Finished?

On Tue, 28 Mar 1995, Matt Gomes wrote:

> qajatlhneS:
>
>   I was watching ST6 (for the umpteenth time) and I think I still wonder what
> the Klingon outpost guard is saying...
>
>   He keeps saying "rheen"... which, it seems from the concept means "over".
>
>   Now.. there is no "over" in TKD, but "finished" is "rIn".
>
>   If this is what the actor is trying to say, shouldn't it sound more like
>   "rin" (rhymes with "tin")?

I think he was saying {rIn}, but I agree with your assessment, it sounded
more like *rIyn.  On one the cassettes, Okrand indicated that some
Klingons living in backwater parts of the Empire don't always use the
proper Emperor's Pronunciation.  Perhaps the Morska outpost is one such
place.

> -majIq

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level