tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 28 12:27:43 1995

Re: Finished?

On Tue, 28 Mar 1995, Matt Gomes wrote:
> qajatlhneS:
>   I was watching ST6 (for the umpteenth time) and I think I still wonder what
> the Klingon outpost guard is saying...
>   He keeps saying "rheen"... which, it seems from the concept means "over".
>   Now.. there is no "over" in TKD, but "finished" is "rIn".
>   If this is what the actor is trying to say, shouldn't it sound more like
>   "rin" (rhymes with "tin")?
>   qatlho'... Qapla'!
> -majIq

You'll need to go back and carefully review your TKD:  Klingon /I/ is
indeed usually analogous to English "ih" but look at the special note,
that sometimes for reasons unknown it can be sounded as "ee"...

I speculate that a subtle coloration of the 5 vowels exists where
a,e,I,o, and u equate more with ranges of English vowels than a 1-1.  As
a matter of fact, Vulcan is set up this way....  e.g. Spock can range
from "spawkh" to "spahkh", where Saavik ranges from "savvik" to "sahvik".

Possibly this is true in Klingon, considering that /e/ ranges from a
short a to "eh", and we often hear /o/ ranging from "aw" to "oh" and so on.

<[email protected]>    >1 910 759 5532, fax -6142<  "Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager                operate in a vacuum, can
Wake Forest University Department of Physics       I at least have a little
Box 7507 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?"

Back to archive top level